Guaranteed whales on every single tour.
Island Adventures was one of the first companies to guarantee whales in the San Juan Islands. We are the leaders in guaranteeing whales – in 2019, we saw whales on 532 of 540 tours. The guarantee isn't a stand-by pass and there are no blackout dates, it's an offer to come again for 50% off your next tour in hopes of fulfilling our guests' wish to see whales.
2022 Whale Guarantee
If you do not see a whale (orca, minke, gray, or humpback) with us you can come again for 50% off your next tour.
- Species Covered: Killer whales, humpback whales, minke whales, and/or gray whales
- Date Range: Year-Round
- Sighting Success Rate: Over 97% since 1996. Our Whale Report shows a detailed account of every tour. We rarely miss!
- What happens if I don't see a whale? We have a passion to show our guests whales. If you happen to be on one of the rare days we do not see whales, you will receive a unique promotion code to book another tour for 50% off. This code will be good for one return trip for your group, does not have an expiration date, and can be booked online for any available tour.
We're serious about finding whales.
Did you know that orcas, humpbacks, gray whales, and minke whales can travel more than 100 miles in a 24 hour period? To increase our chances of seeing whales each day, Island Adventures uses a variety of tools. Over the past 20 years, our spotting network has evolved into the most sophisticated sightings network on the entire west coast. We work with other whale watch vessels, land-based spotters, researchers, dive boats, early morning fishermen, water taxis, tug boats, and ferry boats to help locate whales in the area. If the whales are here, we know it. We understand our guests’ passion to see whales in the wild and it is our mission to fulfill the goal of seeing whales.
On each and every tour, we guarantee that you'll see at least one type of whale (orca, minke, humpback, or gray) or your next tour is 50% off! Many of our guests are passionate about orcas and travel to the Pacific Northwest specifically to see this iconic species. If there are orcas in the region, we make it a priority to view them whenever possible.
Please remember that we cannot control what the whales do or where the whales go each day. What we can give you is the highest possible chance of seeing whales due to our quick vessel speed and convenient departure locations. No company sees whales more than Island Adventures — the proof is in our whale report.
Whale Sighting Records
Our 97% success rate since 2002 speaks for itself. Check out what we've been seeing lately with our daily Whale Report.
- 2020: 206 of 224 tours - 92.0%**
- 2019: 532 of 540 tours - 98.5%
- 2018: 587 of 600 tours - 98.4%
- 2017: 571 of 603 tours - 94.7%
- 2016: 515 of 525 tours - 98.1%
- 2015: 429 of 433 tours - 99.1%
- 2014: 363 of 375 tours - 96.8%
- 2013: 260 of 266 tours - 97.7%
- 2012: 212 of 225 tours - 94.2%
- 2011: 262 of 266 tours - 98.5%
- 2010: 477 of 488 tours - 97.7%
- 2009: 239 of 248 tours - 96.4%
- 2008: 258 of 264 tours - 97.7%
- 2007: 244 of 256 tours - 95.3%
- 2006: 479 of 505 tours - 94.9%
- 2005: 269 of 274 tours - 98.2%
- 2004: 205 of 210 tours - 97.6%
- 2003: 221 of 230 tours - 96.1%
- 2002: 193 of 198 tours - 97.5%