Guaranteed whales on every single tour.
Island Adventures was one of the first companies to guarantee whales in the San Juan Islands. We are the leaders in guaranteeing whales – in 2019, we saw whales on 532 of 540 tours. The guarantee isn't a stand-by pass and there are no blackout dates, it's a free ticket for life until you see whales in the wild.
Whale Guarantee – Every Tour
If you do not see a whale (orca, minke, gray, or humpback) with us you can come again for FREE, for life, on any tour until you do. This is not a gimmick — it is a passion to show our guests whales. Notice there is no fine print and this is not a stand-by pass. Just give us a call, and your next tour is on us. It’s that simple.
- Species Covered: Killer whales, humpback whales, minke whales, and/or gray whales
- Date Range: Year-Round
- Sighting Success Rate: Over 97% since 1996. Our Whale Report shows a detailed account from every tour. We rarely miss!
- What happens if I don't see a whale? You get to come back for free, for life, from any of our departure locations until you see a whale.
We're serious about finding whales.
Did you know that orcas, humpbacks, gray whales, and minke whales can travel more than 100 miles in a 24 hour period? To increase our chances of seeing whales each day, Island Adventures uses a variety of tools. Over the past 20 years, our spotting network has evolved into the most sophisticated sightings network on the entire west coast. We work with other whale watch vessels, land-based spotters, researchers, dive boats, early morning fishermen, water taxis, tug boats, and ferry boats to help locate whales in the area. If the whales are here, we know it. We understand our guests’ passion to see whales in the wild — that’s why we’ve developed three different guarantee options.
On each and every tour, we guarantee that you'll see at least one type of whale (orca, minke, humpback, or gray) or you ride again free - for life - until you do! Many of our guests are passionate about orcas and travel to the Pacific Northwest specifically to see this iconic species. For orca enthusiasts we offer multi-day orca guarantees. This is not a ploy to sell more tickets, we simply want to maximize your chances of viewing orcas in the wild. As soon as you see orcas, you can cancel any remaining tours at no charge — no questions asked. We are able to offer these orca-specific guarantees because Island Adventures has the highest success rate in the region of finding orcas.
Please remember that we cannot control what the whales do or where the whales go each day. What we can give you is the highest possible chance of seeing whales due to our quick vessel speed and convenient departure locations. No company sees whales more than Island Adventures — the proof is in our whale report.
Whale Sighting Records
Our 97% success rate since 2002 speaks for itself. Check out what we've been seeing lately with our daily Whale Report.
- 2020: 206 of 224 tours - 92.0%**
- 2019: 532 of 540 tours - 98.5%
- 2018: 587 of 600 tours - 98.4%
- 2017: 571 of 603 tours - 94.7%
- 2016: 515 of 525 tours - 98.1%
- 2015: 429 of 433 tours - 99.1%
- 2014: 363 of 375 tours - 96.8%
- 2013: 260 of 266 tours - 97.7%
- 2012: 212 of 225 tours - 94.2%
- 2011: 262 of 266 tours - 98.5%
- 2010: 477 of 488 tours - 97.7%
- 2009: 239 of 248 tours - 96.4%
- 2008: 258 of 264 tours - 97.7%
- 2007: 244 of 256 tours - 95.3%
- 2006: 479 of 505 tours - 94.9%
- 2005: 269 of 274 tours - 98.2%
- 2004: 205 of 210 tours - 97.6%
- 2003: 221 of 230 tours - 96.1%
- 2002: 193 of 198 tours - 97.5%